Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Drawing from Nature

I have thought about the metaphors that i use to represent ideas and emotions that can't be explained with simple woreds. What I have come to realize is that most of the time i draw my metaphors from the natural world rather than the world created by the hand of man. This is interesting to me because all of my life I have livedin urban areas completely surrounded by everything man made. I would be unable to survive without the comforts that the modern world provides. It would seem natural if I drew comparisons from objects that I see Daily like the warm glow of a street light or the luminesence of the television. Instead I use flowers and animals and phenomina in nature to help express myself. This shows that I am connected with nature no matter how far away i am from it. Wether I distance myself from the natural world by choice or not I still feel a certain connection to my roots. Despite my lack of contact with nature i feel a stronger connection with it than concrete and steel. This connection with nature while living in a city leaves me in an odd middle ground with one foot on either side. Perhaps what this means is that there is harmony to be found between the natural world and the man made one. Or that the man made world must find harmony with the natural one. Maybe I am the flower that grows from the crack in the concrete.

No comments:

Post a Comment