Friday, June 26, 2009

84 Taking the Young

I left work today only to find out that a vicious rainstorm had rolled in. I biked home in it and now I am soggied head to toe. Undressed and dried up I sit and eat my moonpie as lethargy sets in. Ah but now I get up and go to the gym and my studio. I have many paintings to finish for the next showing and time is running out fast.

After reading the BBC reports of human trafficking in the U.K. and watching a segment on msnbc I was compelled to draw this scene. Now that I say this the meaning of the drawing is altered completely. I find that acts of human trafficking to be atrocious and it is unbelievable how widespread it is. It is a growing industry and there is little to do to stop it. There was even a case of it right here in Colorado. It is not simply a problem contained outside the borders of this county anymore. One fact that really startled and disturbed me is that there are more slaves today that there ever were in any point in history. This is shocking since we consider ourselves a civil and modern society. How can such things exist? How can these things be stopped? Why does it continue to grow? These are the questions I am going to explore and hope to find answers to.

6 comments:

  1. Your drawing already identifies a couple of factors with dealing with human trafficking. One, the parent(s) aren't aware of what their kids are involved in. Two, there is not enough noise by the victim when an incident occurs because of the shame associated with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your art is amazing. I admire your talent.

    Funny how theres so much hidden behind our backs that we do not know about but it is ever present in society. Or maybe things like human trafficking is an issue that everyone chooses to ignore in their "perfect" world (:
    Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your artwork and I like how this one in particular portrays a message.
    I am so shocked by what you say that there are more slaves today than ever before.
    Another great post.
    Beth x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks =D But I write in portuguese, so...sorry, I'm curious, but...Did you understand it?? If you not, you're still very kind x)
    I like your art. It's different of all I've ever seen. I'm not an artist, but sometimes I like too free my soul with a pencil :)
    I think maybe there's more slaves nowdays because "we consider ourselves a civil and modern society" so we think slavery doesn't even exist. Therefore we do nothing to stop that. We usually don't worry about something we thing is past. xP

    [If what I've write here is wrong in the grammar or something, please don't laught so much. Hey, I'm from Portugal, ok? Oh, and if you don't know, Portugal is a lost small and poor country near Spain]

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're very very nice =D And about Portugal, I like it poor, small and lost =) We don't have any wars or terroristm since I don't know when. We aren´t rich, but we are happy (well, I'm happy).
    I remeber when I was younger and I used to sleep in the the car (my parents driving, of course) and I used to listen english music in the radio. I didn't understand any single word. But I really didn't care, because when I closed my eyes I was flying, no mather the meaning of the music lyrics. I suppose flying is like listening beautifull music. And if not, listening beutifull music is like flying x)
    I like the way you see my poem. You didn't understand it, you play it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment, you are the fisrt person to come up to me and say that...I am now happy that someone has appreciated one of my "creations", this picture is so cool, by the way and it makes sense with the title....

    ReplyDelete